VoteGopher: On The Issues, Election 2008

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

McCain, Palin? Obama, Biden? Why don't we just all be "gay"?

Gay Rights... When we first think about this or even debate about it most people think that the main subject of controversy is the right to be married to a person who is the same gender, but in this election that is only ONE of the issues that gay couples, even gay singles, are worried about. According to Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, homosexuals should receive "special legislation" on same sex health benefits (Nov 2006) and there should be no spousal benefits for same sex couples. (Jul 2006). Although recently Palin has vetoed a bill denying benefits to gays (Aug 2008), she is still standing strong to her belief of denying benefits to homosexual couples. Although her top priority is to preserve the definition of marriage, 46% of Americans believe that there is no real definition of marriage, and gays should be legally wed. (www.onlinepersonalswatch.com/news/2008/01/americans-revea.html). Palin's running mate seems to have a less conservative view on gay rights. McCain believes that marriage should only be between a man and a woman (Jul 2008), but when confronted with the issue of same gender marriage , he believes that it should be left up to state to decide. (Jan 2007). McCain even said that he would be "comfortable" with a gay president. Our Democratic presidential candidate for this years election, Barack Obama, is more a conservative about this issue then most people probably think. Although radically left compared to Palin, Obama does not support gay marriage. He does although support civil unions. In an interview with the Chicago Daily Tribune, Obama said, "I'm a Christain. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate my political views on this issue, I do believe that my tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman." Despite the fact that Obama believes gays should not marry, he believes gays should not be discriminated and should have the right to adopt like any heterosexual couple. (Unlike the Republican candidates.) Obama is not planning on making gay marriage illegal in America, but AGREES with McCain when stating, we should leave it up to the states. So, we can draw the conclusion that Obama AND McCain don't necessarily want change when it comes to gay MARRIAGE, but Obama certainly believes that gays should have the same benefits as us heterosexuals. 
My opinion, Obama sums it up pretty well: "Giving gays rights would allow them to experience their relationship and live their lives in a way that doesn't cause discrimination, I think it is the right balance to strike this society." (Chicago Daily Tribune, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force). 
As I searched for information about civil rights, specifically gay rights I realized this not an important issue for everyone, but when I would come across a great website that agrees with the idea of gay rights, I realize that it is a VERY important issue for some Americans, and the way they live depends on these liberties. As I continue my search on different debates about gay rights I will certainly post. 
Thats all for now
- K




No comments: